B-Academy Learner Appeals Procedure
The purpose of an appeals procedure is to ensure that every learner who is not satisfied with the outcome of an assessment decision has the right to appeal against the decision that has been made.
The appeals procedure applies to any learner following completion of an Active IQ qualification at B-Academy and provides learners with a formal route to appeal against a decision.
B-Academy learners will be assessed against Active IQ published criteria and by assessors who must hold or be working towards any of the following:
• Level 3 Award in Understanding the Principles and Practices of Assessment (QCF) or
• Level 3 Award in Assessing Vocationally Related Achievement (QCF) or
• Level 3 Award in Assessing Competence in the Work Environment (QCF) or
• Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement (QCF), or
• A1 (previously D32, D33)
In addition, B-Academy will ensure that assessors:
• Possess a discipline specific qualification equivalent to the qualification being taught
• Have relevant industry experience
• Demonstrate active involvement in a process of industry relevant Continued Professional Development during the last two years
All new B-Academy assessors will be given a clear action plan for achieving the appropriate qualification(s) and should be countersigned by an appropriately qualified individual until the qualification(s) are achieved.
Areas of appeal may include:
Information, Advice and Guidance provided by Boffit Limited
Access to assessment
Process of assessment
Access to internal verification
The handling of an appeal
Administrative issues, e.g. failure to register/apply for certification
Access to support and guidance
Access to internal verification
Insufficient time to undertake the function.
Employers / Partners:
Information, Advice and Guidance provided by B-Academy
The appeal process will be handled by the Internal Verifier in the first instance.
Internal verifiers must hold or be working towards any of the following:
• Level 4 Award in Understanding the Internal Quality Assurance of Assessment Processes and Practice (QCF)
• Level 4 Award in the Internal Quality Assurance of Assessment Processes and Practice (QCF)
• Level 4 Certificate in Leading the Internal Quality Assurance of Assessment Processes and Practice (QCF)
• V1 (previously D34)
• Relevant alternative qualification or senior experience in supervising or managing an internal quality assurance role
Throughout the assessment process B-Academy will comply fully with Active IQ’s policy on reasonable adjustments and special considerations that can be found:
Investigating appeals is very problematic without the presence of impartial evidence. Therefore appeals in the context of live observed assessments will only be considered when accompanied by a suitable video recording.
As a learner of B-Academy you will be able to use a video recording as long as it does not adversely affect the assessment process, allows the assessor to carry their role and does not contravene a venue/organisations rules or regulations. The learner must make suitable arrangements to arrange a video operator.
If a medical issue has the potential to affect your performance, then it is your responsibility to inform B-Academy prior to assessment so that an informed decision can be made terms of an appropriate action plan.
Thank you for your contribution and commitment to making our policy work.